Wednesday, April 17, 2013

You Are More Beautiful Than You Think

 

 

If you haven't seen this video, you need to. Dove did a social experiment looking at how women view themselves and the findings are heartbreaking yet eye-opening.
 
I'm the first to admit that I am very critical of myself. VERY critical. We're constantly surrounded by images in the media portraying women who are "beautiful," and it's only natural that we compare ourselves to them. The media has set the beauty bar pretty high up there, and when we don't feel like we even come close to that bar we start wishing that our imperfections could be fixed. "If only I had a smaller nose," or "if only I had higher cheekbones..." But what seems like huge imperfections to ourselves, are tiny if not even an imperfection at all to a third person. My husband tells me this all the time when I complain about how I look. He always tells me it's just in my head and maybe it really is...
 
How we view ourselves is so intimately tied to our self-esteem, our self-confidence, how we carry ourselves, how we speak up. Believing and KNOWING that we are beautiful is more than half the battle. Without that self-confidence, you can wear all the "fashionable" clothes you want and you still won't look or feel beautiful. Beauty comes from within. So embrace those "imperfections," or better yet don't even think of them as imperfections at all! Know that they make up who you are, and that you are in fact beautiful in your own unique (and awesome) way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment